Frog legs are an uncommon but simple delicacy. Many people may be curious what they are like and if you are eager to try them, then this easy deep frying technique is a good starting point. Frog legs can be bought or harvested from swamps. If you’re purchasing frog legs, they should come with the legs hooked together in individual pairs. The legs are best served individually, simply cut them apart and cook after ensuring they are clean. There are many complicated recipes out there but a basic deep fryer recipe using breadcrumbs allows the ingredients to really shine by themselves.
Here’s how to prepare the most delicious frog legs:
5 lbs frog legs, thoroughly rinsed Vegetable oil, to fry 2 ½ cups Italian breadcrumbs,4 eggs,1 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper,1 teaspoon garlic salt
Of course, you can adjust the amount of seasoning to suit your personal preferences.
A counter-top deep fryer(e.g. Waring Pro or Masterbuilt Electric Turkey Fryer)
- 1. Begin by preparing the coating for the frog legs. Using your fingers, combine the breadcrumbs, black pepper and garlic salt in a large bowl.
- 2. In another bowl, crack the four eggs and mix together with a fork or your hands. The eggs make it so that the breadcrumbs will adhere to the meat.
- 3. Prepare the deep fryer by filling it with the correct amount of oil – see the fryer’s instructions to find the recommended quantity or look for a ‘fill line’ to check how much to add. Having done this, preheat the fryer to the temperature you usually use for cooking fish.
- 4. When the oil has reached the correct heat, you can coat the frog legs. Taking a few at a time, first coat the legs in the egg mixture. Follow this by rolling them in the seasoned breadcrumbs.
- 5. Drop the coat frog legs into the hot oil a few at a time. Be careful when doing this as oil can splatter if you drop them in too forcefully. Fry the legs for between 5 and 8 minutes. You can tell when the legs are done because they will float to the top of the oil.
- 6. Once cooked, remove the frog legs from the fryer and leave them on a paper towel to drain some of the oil. Allow them to cool briefly as the centers will be very hot.
- 7. Serve with a fine bottle of wine and enjoy this special dish, it’s quite impressive!
- Please note: You should exercise caution if serving frog legs to children, as they contain small bones. Before serving to a child, simply remove the meat from the bone to minimize this risk.