Furniture plays a critical role in enhancing the appearance of a house. Modern furniture with intricate designs adds beauty and charm to the entire space and makes it look classy and sophisticated. Furthermore, furniture sets make a house much more functional and significant. They complete the décor of your home and provide comfort to your guests.
Now, these are enough reasons to keep your furniture sets well-maintained. That said, over time and with prolonged use, any typical furniture gets old and outdated and starts looking boring. The best way of transforming their undesired look is by updating them with the best paint for furniture.
Replacing furniture sets can be a costly affair. If you have a limited budget, then replacements can surely burn a hold in your pocket. On the contrary, painting them and updating their looks can save you a significant amount of money and make your entire house look fresh and rejuvenated.
With multiple paints being sold by a spectrum of brands, people often get confused as to which one can be the perfect pick for their individual needs and goals. Well, to get you out from this obvious dilemma and help you choose the best paint for furniture, here, we are reviewing the top products in this category.
3 Best Paint for Furniture – Our Picks
10 Best Paint for Furniture with Reviews
1. Retique It by Renaissance – Best Chalk Paint for Furniture
Retique It by Renaissance is one of the best and most reliable furniture paints available in the market today. Specially manufactured from cabinets and furniture, this paint is just perfect for contemporary, vintage, and chic styles.
The product offers excellent coverage, and just a couple of coats are enough for getting the desired result. It is absolutely environment-friendly and safe. The paint is thick in consistency and leaves a super smooth finish after drying. It also comes with self-leveling and quick-drying formula. The product dries off within just 20 minutes of application.
2. Rust-Oleum 1992502 PaintersTouch – Best Paint for Outdoor Wood Furniture
The Rust-Oleum Painters Touch is one of the best latex paints that you will get in the market today. This paint can be used for painting a broad spectrum of surfaces, including metal, wood, and unglazed ceramic. This water-based formula exhibits low odor and offers protection for long years.
The product covers up near about 120 square feet of surface area and dries off in just 30 minutes. The paint’s smooth finish offers excellent hide and a new and fresh look for your furniture surfaces. Before applying the paint, you need to sand the surfaces and wash thoroughly using a degreaser. Make sure that the surfaces are super dry before you start applying the product.
3. Krylon K05160202 – Best Paint for Outdoor Metal Furniture
As its name suggests the Krylon K05160202 ColorMaster Paint + Primer does the job of a primer as well as paint. This paint stands to be perfect for all kinds of surfaces, such as metal, plastic, wood, ceramic, and fabric, among others. The product can be used for painting both indoor as well as outdoor furniture.
The Krylon K05160202 ColorMaster Paint + Primer comes with Durable Covermax Technology. This feature offers excellent color along with premium coverage. This paint dries off within just ten minutes or even less. The product doesn’t drip or run. Irrespective of how huge your project is, you can undoubtedly rely on Krylon ColorMaster for a convenient and comfortable spray.
4. Deft 037125017132 Interior Clear Wood Finish – Best Spray Paint for Wood Furniture
The Deft 037125017132 Interior Clear Wood Finish is a paint that incorporates value into your furniture. The paint is perfect to be used for interior wood and metal furniture and cabinets. The product is absolutely simple to apply and offers a rich, deep, satin finish.
The Deft 037125017132 Interior Clear Wood Finish features one of the quickest drying finishes. This furniture paint is known widely for its 100 percent professional results. The product is non-toxic and absolutely safe for kids. This clear lacquer offers high resistance against water and beverages. The product doesn’t require sanding and dries off in just 30 minutes of application, thereby saving you a lot of time as well as effort.
5. Rust-Oleum 7792504 Protective Enamel Paint – Best White Paint for Furniture
The Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel paint is an oil-based product that adheres to an extensive range of surfaces, such as wood, concrete, metal, and masonry, among others. This paint renders a glossy finish and offers an amazingly fresh shine. The product covers up near about 90 square feet of surface area and dries off within just 2 to 4 hours application.
The Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel paint offers long-lasting protective coating. This paint provides excellent resistance against corrosion, rust, and harsh weather conditions. The product is also capable of resisting color fading, abrasion, and chipping. In addition to the brilliant white color, the Rust-Oleum Protective Enamel paint also comes in several other shades and finishes.
6. General Finishes BLP Oil Base Gel Stain – Best Black Paint for Furniture
General Finishes BLP Oil Base Gel Stain is one of the best and most recommended oil-based products that is specifically manufactured for cabinets and furniture. This paint offers the most appealing and lustrous finish, which tends to stand out. The product offers a super even look even on the toughest woods, like pine and aspen. Using the paint is extremely easy. You can wipe on the stain simply using a cloth.
Apart from all the goodness that the General Finishes BLP Oil Base Gel Stain offers its users, one of the major drawbacks of this furniture paint is that it is extremely heavy-bodied. This characteristic feature of the product makes it tough for the paint to penetrate into the wooden surfaces as deeply as the liquid oil-based stains generally do.
7. Beyond Paint All-In-One Refinishing Kit – Best Paint for Refinishing Furniture
The Beyond Paint All-In-One Refinishing Kit is one of the most reliable refinishing furniture paints. The best thing about this paint is that you absolutely need to do no prep before applying the product on a surface. The product offers excellent coverage and shows no visible roller or brush marks. You also get a good finish after the product dries off.
The Beyond Paint All-In-One Refinishing Kit can be used for painting both interiors as well as exterior furniture. The paint has low VOC and is absolutely non-toxic. Furthermore, cleaning the paint is also extremely easy and convenient.
8. Rust-Oleum 285139 Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint – Best Metallic Paint for Furniture
The Rust-Oleum 285139 Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint is a latex formula that can be used on multiple interior surfaces, such as metal, wood, canvas, and ceramic. The paint can be distressed easily for creating a typical vintage look.
This product is super easy to apply and adheres seamlessly. The paint generates a low odor and calls for minimal prep. All these factors make the Rust-Oleum 285139 Ultra Matte Interior Chalked Paint super easy to work with.
In addition to all the above-discussed good things, this paint also features quick-drying formula. The product dries off within 30 minutes of application to render a smooth, ultra-matte, and velvety finish. The paint can also be cleaned up easily with water and soap.
9. Rust-Oleum 7215502 Hammered Metal Finish – Best Paint for Wrought Iron Furniture
The Rust-Oleum Hammered Metal Finish is a highly reliable, oil-based furniture paint that is specifically manufactured for preventing rust and corrosion of iron and metal furniture. This paint offers excellent protection to both indoor as well as outdoor surfaces, such as metal, wood, masonry, and concrete.
The robust metal finish of the paint helps in hiding the imperfections and flaws found in pitted, rusted, and scratched metals. The paint covers around 100 square feet of surface area and dries off within just 2 to 4 hours. The product doesn’t require any priming and can be directly applied to the surface of the furniture.
Apart from all the good things offered by the Rust-Oleum Hammered Metal Finish, one of the disadvantages of this paint is that you need to apply a couple of coats to achieve the desired coverage and finish.
10. Krylon KSCS035 Short Cuts Aerosol Spray Paint – Best Paint for Wicker Furniture
The Krylon KSCS035 Short Cuts Aerosol Spray Paint is a high-gloss product that stands to be perfect for use in small projects. The paint renders brilliant color coupled with premium coverage. The product dries off fast and offers a hard and glossy finish that is highly durable and long-lasting.
The Krylon KSCS035 Short Cuts Aerosol Spray Paintworks extremely well for both indoor as well as outdoor furniture. As this enamel paint comes in a very small and portable can, you need not worry about disposing and storing the leftover product. The paint can be used on all types of surfaces, such as wicker, metal, wood, glass, bisque, and plastics.
Buying Guide to Best Paint for Furniture
Types of Furniture Paints
Latex paint is widely and commonly available paint. It’s a water-based product that comes in multiple sheens, such as flat, gloss, semi-gloss, satin, and eggshell.
- Least expensive paint
- It is available in a spectrum of sheens
- The glossy sheens don’t require a topping
- Requires prepping
- The finish isn’t durable
Milk paint is a natural paint that is made from milk protein. The product creates a very natural and old-world look. This paint is quite versatile and can create multiple finishes.
- Made from natural ingredients
- Penetrates seamlessly into the tiny pores of the wood
- Requires a bonding agent
This is a water-based color paint, which calls for the minimum prep and renders a very soft and matte finish.
- Minimum prep work needed
- Dries off quickly
- Leaves an extremely smooth finish
- Visible brush strokes
- Extremely thick
Acrylic paints are also water-based color paints. You can use these paints for both exteriors as well as interior applications.
- Doesn’t need topping
- Levels up beautifully
- No sanding required
- Takes a bit longer time to dry
Factors to Consider Before Buying Paints for Furniture
- Type: As discussed already, a wide range of furniture paints are available in the market. You need to check the features of all the types of paints and pick the one that is the most suitable product for your requirements and purpose.
- Finish: The furniture paints render different kinds of finishes after they dry off. You will find paints that render polished and matte finish to shiny and glossy finish. You need to find out which kind of finish would be suitable for your purpose and objective, and pick up furniture paint accordingly.
- Durability: durability is one of the main factors to check for before buying furniture paint. You need to check the durability of the finish offered by each paint and make a choice accordingly.
- Easy Cleaning: During your painting job, you are likely to end up creating a mess very often. Furthermore, if you have a kid in your house, you also have a fear of spillage. Hence, you need to choose a paint that offers easy cleaning, so that you can clean up the mess with just water and soap.
- Existing Home Décor: Before you purchase furniture paint, you need to check the existing décor of your home. You need to check the color of your walls to decide which color paint you should purchase for your furniture. If the walls of your room have a dark color, consider purchasing light color paint for your furniture. On the contrary, if the walls are light in color, dark-colored furniture can be more beneficial for you.
- Light: Before investing in furniture paints, it is quite essential to check the amount of light your room usually gets. If your room is well-lit, consider investing in dark color paints and if it is dingy or poorly-lit, consider going for light color paints for your furniture.
How should I care for my new finish?
- Consider avoiding excessive handling for a few days.
- Don’t place sharp objects or water glasses on the surface.
- For cleaning at regular intervals, consider using a dry, soft cloth
- Avoid contact with any type of liquid.
- Use coasters and placemats on the tabletops
What preparations should I do before applying chalk paint to my furniture?
If you are thinking to apply chalk paint to your furniture, you hardly require any prep. There is no need for stripping, sanding, or priming. You don’t even require removing varnish or old wax.
I am looking for a budget-friendly and long-lasting paint. Can I get both the aspects of a single type of paint?
Latex paint is a budget-friendly paint that you can swear upon. However, it is not as durable as the other types of paints, such as chalk paints and acrylic paints. However, you can improve the overall longevity of the finish by applying a good topping over the paint.
I have some indoor as well as outdoor furniture painting projects. I am struggling to find a single paint that can cater to both my purposes as this idea can be budget-friendly. What type of paint should I be using?
Acrylic paints can be a good option if you are looking for a product that can be used for both indoor as well as outdoor furniture. These paints are also durable and exhibit a nice and appealing look.
As a homeowner, it is your responsibility to maintain your furniture sets by painting their surfaces and updating their looks at least once in a couple of years. Painting isn’t something that would tend to be a burden on you. You’ll rather enjoy the whole process and love the time you spend on painting your chairs, tables, and sofas. You can also involve your kids in the job and be sure that it will be super fun. Moreover, as many of the modern paints are non-toxic, you don’t need to worry about their safety.
To get the best effect out of your furniture paint, you need to purchase the best type of furniture. You need to be alert while choosing among the various paints and make an informed decision to get the best result. The above-discussed in-depth product reviews and buying guide will provide you an ample amount of help to choose the Best Paint for Furniture.
Here is a video explaining how to better paint your furniture you shouldn’t miss out.
2019 Guide: 10 Best Paint for Furniture to Buy Right Now
Written by Phil Hughes