Portable generators are vital to home appliances if you live in a hurricane-prone area. Power outages during thunderstorms are common occurrences. During the disastrous darkness, only a quality generator can ensure that you have a steady electricity supply. Popular products are capable of delivering 4000 to 5000 watts of power for stretches of nine to twelve hours. Not only commercial establishments but also homeowners should definitely consider keeping a unit ready at hand. However, it is also necessary to maintain it well.
These are bulky household appliances sometimes weighing in excess of 300 lbs. Usually, owners keep these out in the open as it is more convenient. When a generator runs, it should be at least at a distance of 10 feet from habitation. Rarely would you find people hauling the heavy machinery from inside the home to the outside. Lack of proper maintenance can eventually result in damage to the machine parts, being open to the duress of the elements. The dust would settle on it. Dirt flies into it. It can soak up in rain. Avoid all these problems by using a good quality outdoor generator enclosure.
It is a simple and minimal investment, but can actually save life and property during an emergency breakdown (by making sure the generator is functional). Also, think about the hundreds and thousands of dollars you save by avoiding repair or replacement of the existing unit.
Using a local cover
Check out this product on Amazon. The Universal Generator Cover from Porch Shield can effectively enclose most units generating output in the range of 5000-10000 watt. Here is a brief rundown of its various aspects.
- Made with 600D durable polyester fabric
- The manufacturer also adds a layer of water-resistant laminated undercoating
- Water-resistant backing keeps the unit completely dry. For 100% waterproofing, use the full cover with seam sealing tape.
- One side consists of a Velcro seam for easily opening and closing the enclosure
- Other side hosts two stacks of fabric, which keeps it weather-proof and at the same time permit the essential ventilation
- During severe weather conditions such as high winds, the elastic hem cord and the bottom strap allows a customized secure fit
- It comes with a 3-year warranty
This portable generator enclosure kit protects the machine from the damaging effects of snow, rain, dust, and UV rays. It is available in 3 size specifications, so, choose one according to the dimensions of your machine. It does not have any negative reviews. You can be sure of investing in good material.
Installing a permanent shed
Alternately, you can also set up a permanent shed in the garden to stow away your generator when not in use. Check out a good suncast generator shed. The BMS 4700 70 cu ft stow away horizontal shed should be comfortably housing most popular generator models.
- Constructed with resin panels, it provides significant strength and durability.
- It has a 3 door locking system for maximum security
- The ramp for easy wheeling makes it a breeze to haul the unit in and out
- The low profile design is ideal for setting it up on the side of a house or patio without attracting undue attention.
- Easily lift the lid and keep it open with gas shocks
As you choose between a shed and a cover, consider combining the best of both worlds. Often sheds tend to house rodents like rats that can get into the machine and die there, causing a messy and smelly standup. Putting the cover on the generator before you wheel it inside the shed ensures complete protection under all circumstances.
A few important pointers
- Size fits: Always make sure before purchasing that the cover you are buying fits your particular unit. All products display their dimensions and size variations. All you have to do is to have an accurate idea about the measure of your unit. Read the reviews to find if other people have the same machine that you have. Then, you can become sure of it being the right one. If you are still unsure, contact the customer support and let them know of your machine size to get the right one. If you want to just play safe, then invest in buying the biggest size of the cover, which will enclose any unit anyway.
- Ventilation: This is an important and often overlooked aspect. Remember that generators may hold fuel such as gasoline or diesel. These give out toxic fumes even when they are not in use. Without adequate ventilation, the buildup of these fumes can be a source of a potential safety hazard. Lack of ventilation also results in accumulation of mold, which damages the apparatus. Even when you purchase an outdoor generator enclosure, see that it has space for proper ventilation.
- Opening and closing: The swiftness of assembling and reassembling the cover is an important aspect. During an emergency, you would not want to fumble around and delay. The cover should come out in a single sweep. Similarly, when your work is over, and the generator must get some rest, you should be able to enclose it fast and easily. As for a portable generator housing enclosure, it should be easy to assemble and reassemble. Always look up instructional videos on any particular product so that you know that it should not be a problem to dismantle it in minutes whenever you need.
- Material: The material has to be able to withstand the duress of natural elements for a long time without displaying any wear and tear. 600D polyester is a common choice. The iiSport Waterproof Cover also utilizes this material. Sheds using polypropylene resin are also stable choices, but as it is, you should always specify the ventilation aspect before setting up an enclosure.
2 Quality Portable Generator Enclosure Adds to Machine Life
Written by Phil Hughes